Looking to dress up a Mexican themed dinner? Serve this easy-to-make grilled shrimp mango salad for the appetizer course. It’s light and fresh in flavor and will ease that sense of guilt when the heavier main course is served!
I had my doubts about combining cooked fruit and meat, but oh man. Sweet. Salty. Spicy. What a great combination. Mexican is one of those comfort foods that I wouldn’t mind eating everyday if not for the potential waistline damage. Someone really needs to create a pill that cuts down on the amount of calories and fat our body actually absorbs when we eat. I would pay top dollar for that :D Alas until that happens, I satisfy my Mexican food craving with frozen Trader Joes Chicken Burritos. At a mere 350 calories, the burritos taste fantastic dipped in a ketchup/sriracha sauce.
I only used one jalapeño pepper in the salad, but definitely add more if you want more of a kick to the dish! I relied on the fresh cilantro, mint, and lime juice to really bring out the flavors.
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 ripe mango, chopped
10 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium fresh jalapeño chile, minced, including seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Mix the brown sugar and lime juice in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Mix in cilantro and mint. Add the chopped mangoes and toss gently.
2) Combine the oil, minced jalapeño, cumin, and salt in another bowl. Add the shrimp and make sure it’s well coated.
3) Heat up a large pan and add the shrimp. Spread the shrimp out in the pan and let grill untouched for 1 minute at medium heat.
4) Flip shrimp over and grill on the other side for another minute, or until cooked through.
5) Toss the mango salad again and plate. Add the cooked shrimp on top and squeeze some lime juice on top. Serve immediately.