In case the butter alone in biscuits wasn’t enough to tempt your natural human instinct for fat, try this recipe that also incorporates cheddar cheese into the warm fluffy buttermilk biscuits. Created to imitate the complimentary Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, this homemade version tastes less buttery but just as delicious (and less butter = more heart healthy!)
I served the biscuits alongside a nice thick slab of cheesy layered seafood lasagna. Recipe coming next!
2 1/2 cups Bisquick (I used Jiffy buttermilk) baking mix
3/4 cup cold whole milk
4 tbsp cold butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine Bisquick with cold butter in a medium bowl using a large fork, leaving small chunks of butter after mixing.
2) Add cheddar cheese, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic to the Bisquick and mix.
3) Shape the dough into approximately 1/4-cup portions and drop them onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I actually used a measuring cup to shape my biscuits. Be sure to leave enough space between the biscuits so they can expand!
4) Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits begin to turn light brown.
5) When you take the biscuits out of the oven, combine the ingredients for the “spreading sauce”. Brush this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits.
Makes one dozen biscuits.